Emirates Mars Mission (Hope)
• Launch: 19 July 2020
• Agency: United Arab Emirates Space Agency
The Emirates Mars Mission, or “Hope” Mars orbiter mission launched from Tanegashima Space Center at 21:58:14 UT on 19 July 2020. Built by the United Arab Emirates, the mission will orbit Mars and study the dynamics of the martian atmosphere and its interaction with outer space and the solar wind. The primary scientific objectives are:
- to search for the connection between current martian weather and the ancient climate of Mars.
- To study the loss mechanisms of Mars’ atmosphere to space by tracking the behavior and escape of hydrogen and oxygen.
- To investigate how the lower and upper levels of the martian atmosphere are connected.
- To create a global picture of how the martian atmosphere varies throughout the day and year.